Wednesday, February 29, 2012
Tuesday, February 28, 2012
|Granddaddy and me|
|Blurry photo simply because they were having too much fun dancing to stop for the camera!|
Monday, February 27, 2012
As some of you may know, last week marked the start of the Crossfit Games. The games are open to anyone who wants to compete as long as they pay the entrance fee. Workouts can be done at home and videoed, or done at a Crossfit affiliated gym. Hubster signed up (for fun--not to compete) and his WOD (workout of the day) was scheduled for Friday at 5:30.
The first workout of the games? Seven minutes of burpee hell--as many burpees as you can. For those of you that have never done a burpee, seven minutes sounds simple enough. However, for those of you that have done a burpee, well, you know just how miserable this workout really is. It looked MISERABLE. I was so thankful that I wasn't having to do them!
|Had to jump 6" or it didn't count!|
|Sufficiently worn out!|
|Time for a cool down outside...|
|I'm so proud of him!|
|One of the trainers|
|This girl's abs were INSANE. Picture doesn't do it justice.|
Friday, February 24, 2012
Thursday, February 23, 2012
This girl just discovered the Blogger app for her phone. Joy! I'm always more likely to post something from my phone than my computer. This could be the start of good things.
I'm at the gym right now. We have some high knee sprints to look forward to, as well as some nice ARM work. Wish me luck! The class that just finished was sweating buckets!
With a deck of cards perform exercises as drawn for each of the following:
Hearts = pushups
Diamonds = situps
Clubs = squats
Spades = burpees
Numbered cards are done for reps as numbered
Face cards are 10 reps
Aces are 15 reps
Jokers = 400m run
As soon as 1/2 the group is done with the card - move on!
Rx is awarded to those who do all reps.
Thursday, February 16, 2012
stereo skifcha from xgabberx on Vimeo.
Someone explain to me why this is so funny. I seriously can't stop laughing, and I have no idea why.
The internet never ceases to amaze me. And scare me. It definitely scares me.
Also, yesterday at work I totally mangled my toe. I have a lovely footstool that I keep under my desk, and for whatever reason it decided to become possessed and fell directly onto my big toe.
Yeah...I didn't mean to, but I left a trail of blood while hobbling towards his desk. Oops? The IT boys were impressed with the wound. We had to do an emergency blood evacuation (fancy term for "poke the nail with hot paper clip till the blood escapes" so that I could attempt to keep my toe nail. I like my toe nails. They should not fall off.
They videoed it. And emailed it to my coworkers. Awesome? It's a pretty tame video (sadly). We were all hoping for something a bit more epic:
(Also, how good of a husband is Hubster for being willing to poke me with a hot fire paperclip? Such a good husband...)
Sadly, the stupid toe does hurt bad enough that wearing shoes is next to impossible (flip flops at work today--holla!). Good thing the weather is cooperating enough that my toesies aren't freezing. I'm hopeful that the dumb thing will stop being such a wuss by Saturday because my sister and her kids are visiting me (!) and we are going to be walking around the zoo. I NEED to be able to wear shoes and walk in them. Fingers crossed for a quick recovery!
|Until then, thank goodness for bandaids...|
Wednesday, February 15, 2012
- I'm allergic to some forms of penicillin. I tell you this so that one day you can save my life. But in reality, if I take certain medicines that contain penicillin I break out in a nasty rash that grows so fast that I can literally watch it spread up my body. It is not awesome. Not at all.
- I consider potatoes to be the greatest food on the planet, simple because my dad is an Idaho potato farmer. They are so versatile, and I really wish they weren't as bad for you as they are!
- I'm the only member of my entire family that has red hair. My parents both have dark hair and dark-toned skin. Somehow they produced a redheaded albino. You tell me how this happens:
- I'm currently addicted to Chobani Passionfruit Yogurt. Goodness gracious, that stuff is like crack to me. I don't even like yogurt. I've been anti-yogurt for as long as I can remember, but Chobani has me hooked. Seriously, go buy some now. Do it do it do it.
- I manage a small team of customer service reps. Rather than have a stagnant office, we've cultivated a fun culture where we are free to be as crazy as we want. This has resulted in some funny moments in our office that end up documented on our "Wall of Fame" or as I sometimes call it the "Wall of Shame." I am featured rather heavily on this wall. See if you can spot me:
- I got married at the ripe old age of 22. In Utah, this actually is considered old for a female. Yup. I was called an old maid by several people once I hit my twenties. I had a goal of waiting until I was 25 to get married, but once I met Hubster I was doomed to fail (in the best way possible). Hubster and I dated for 3 1/2 years (off and on) before getting married. This is equally odd in Utah where the average dating period is about 3 months before getting engaged. And no, I am not joking. :)
- As you might guess from mentioning Utah, I am a Mormon. I don't blog about my religion much (or at all) on this blog as it is a fitness blog, not a religious blog. But while we are trying to hit 11 random things, I figured this one was worth an add. Also, we do not have horns, we do not have multiple wives (I wish--they could do my chores for me while I relax!!), and we are not a cult. We do, however, have quite a few endearing(?) quirks.
- I once caught myself on fire on Halloween. That year I was dressed as a Native American princess (complete with headdress!). My mom had bought a super awesome skull candle that would "bleed" blood when lit and I leaned down to watch it and suddenly I was smelling burnt feathers. Turns out I had caught my headdress and my hair on fire. I was more devastated by the ruined feathers than the singed hair.
- I grew up in a small town. As anyone in a small town knows, there's not much to do on the weekend but drink and get into trouble. Since I am Mormon (see above) I wasn't a drinker, so I had to find other ways to amuse myself. One of the common things to do in my region is find tractor tires, fill them full of gasoline, light them on fire, and roll them down the giant spillway at the ruined earthen dam in the region. Helloooooo ball of fire! So awesome. And to any police reading this, I made this all up and it never happened.
- I broke my collarbone when I was 3. It happened at daycare. I was playing in the rocks under the swing set when a bully came up and said "this is my swing, move out da way." Being the stubborn person I am, I refused. Being the bully she was, she hopped on the swing anyway and started swinging until she hit me. She continued to swing into me until finally she hit me so hard it broke my collarbone. I'm not sure if I should be proud of myself for sticking to my guns and not moving, or worried for my general well being that I would go through so much pain just to play with some rocks. You decide.
- In high school I joined the high school softball team simply to avoid my home life. My parents were going through a nasty divorce and I needed an excuse to stay at school. Softball it was. I was terrible. To this day I have no idea how I made it on to the team. I'm convinced they took pity on me. Either way, I'm glad they did. Softball turned out to be a lot of fun!
- Football or Baseball?
- Would you rather run 50 miles or do 5000 push ups?
- Where were you born?
- What do you think is your strangest habit?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- If you had to run outside, and could only take ONE item (This includes clothing. You would be naked, essentially) what would it be?
- If you could have any kind of furbaby, what would you get?
- Favorite dessert? (greek yogurt, or anything remotely healthy, does not count as dessert)
- If you won the lottery today, what would you with your winnings?
- If you had to choose one food to eat for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Sushi, like it or hate it?
- Do you have any furry family members? If yes, roll call. Photos get you extra points.
- What’s the biggest accomplishment you’ve achieved in the past few years?
- Favorite TV show?
- Have you ever colored your hair? Did it turn out great or not so great?
- Does your body wake up at a certain time each morning? How accurate is your “internal clock”?
- Where do you get your news from? Online, radio, or TV?
- Favorite celebrity couple?
- Have you ever had to assemble anything – Ikea furniture or workout equipment? Was it successful or not?
- Do you love the hot shower or the cold shower?
- Favorite alcoholic drink – beer, wine, mixed drink?
- What are you doing right now? Are you a multi-tasker?
Tuesday, February 14, 2012
What can I say? Life has a way of sneaking up on you sometimes. Being sick threw me for a loop, and when I stopped working out I lost motivation to blog. And then it was hard to come back because I didn't know where to start or what to say. I still don't, but I figure I might as well just start and see what comes!
SO...first things first, shall we look at how I did with my January goals?
- Survive HELLth week at my gym
- I ROCKED this one. I attended all 6 workouts (and wanted to die). Loved HELLth week. I even earned my shirt.
- Average 4 workouts per week or more
- I also rocked this one. I worked out 24 times in January. I averaged a little over 5 workouts per week. Booyah!
- Run 30 miles for the month to supplement the strength training workouts
- Yeah, no. Total fail on this one. I struggled with achilles pain and just a general lack of desire to run. I'm not sure what my deal is with this one, but I am having a hard time adding running into my Crossfit workouts. Crossfit wins this round, at least until I can get my injuries under control.
- Cook 2-3 meals per week
- Yep. I actually cooked a lot of meals and ate pretty clean for the month of January. I just reviewed my bank statement and I didn't eat at one of the typical fast food restaurants for the entire month. The only places I ate out at were Costa Vida (which in my mind isn't fast food...care to disagree in the comments) and Zupas (which is a delicious salad place...YUM). I also got a lot more vegetables in my diet during January, which was super awesome.
Another thing that has happened since I last posted was the beginning of the annual Biggest Loser competition at work. The time has come for us to weigh-in, get our body fat tested, and do our best to lose weight over the next 12 weeks. To be honest, I'm trying not to focus so much on "losing weight" as I am focusing on just trying to be healthy. However, I signed up anyway simply to get the measurements! As a team, we took some before photos. Enjoy:
|I have to make weird faces when taking photos. It's a problem.|
|Photos can be awkward...|
What else did I miss during my short blogging hiatus? Update me in the comments!
Friday, February 3, 2012
We had a rough weekend last week. We got some terrible news regarding one of our best friends' babies. It was a heart breaking weekend. In respect for our friends, I won't be sharing the details but it definitely affected us.
Other than that, we've been working really hard and working out hard. I am still loving Crossfit. It is a fantastic workout and I am really seeing results. I didn't post my weekly weigh-in this week, but I am down to 155.8 so the weight is continuing to drop off. I also lost 2 inches off my waist in the last week. Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it.
On Wednesday, a friend from New York came into town and I spent the day taking her around the area to show her what it would be like to live her. She is interviewing for jobs out here and wanted to see what a day in SLC was like. It was fun to take her around. Unfortunately, I was feeling quite fatigued throughout the day because my cold was starting to show up.
The next day I woke up and the cold was in full effect. I went to work, but ended up going home halfway through at the request of my coworkers. Apparently they didn't like me sharing my germs. I cannot blame them!
Today I am at home just recuperating. I slept 14 hours last night! I clearly needed some sleep. Hopefully I'll be feeling better soon!
How are you all doing? I hope this week has served you well!