Tuesday, March 25, 2014

When Your World Falls Apart (Warning: Graphic Photos)

So I disappeared. But I had a very valid reason to suddenly vanish from the face of blogland. My son was involved in a major accident at home and we ended up in the Burn Trauma Intensive Care Unit for nearly a week. He had 2nd and 3rd degree burns on his face, neck, chest, back, and arm. It was the worst month of my life. He avoided skin grafts by nothing short of a true miracle. They thought he would definitely have to get them, but he managed to heal up on his own. It took over 6 weeks for his wounds to close, but we are finally in a place where we don't have to do daily wound care. Both mama and baby are VERY happy about this.

I will be creating a separate blog that details his journey (and my own) because I don't feel like a weight loss blog is the most appropriate place to lay all the gory details out, but I did want to post something on it to kind of explain where my head has been. To say my focus on my health went out the window is an understatement. It seemed so silly to me to be worrying about extra fat on my body when suddenly we were worried about skin grafts, scarring, and breathing issues. Now that we are a bit further out from the trauma, I have refocused and want to be healthy so I can play with my little boy like he wants and deserves. However, I have a month of stress eating to recover from. Here's a quick snapshot of the horror we saw over the past month:


Pretty much a mother's worst nightmare.  He was badly scalded by some hot food from a crockpot that fell on him.  Horrible horrible horrible.  He has several years of recovery ahead of him, but his scarring should be minimal.  The doctors don't think his face will scar which is a straight up miracle as it took the brunt of the burn.  God really does listen and answer prayers.  His arm will be scarred and he will have to wear a pressure garment on it for a couple years to try to flatten potential scarring, but given the extent of the burn (25% of his body) we feel pretty dang blessed that this is the worst we have to deal with.  

Anyway, it is hard to sum up with words how much this event affected me and changed me so I will just summarize it by saying it was traumatic and I wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy.  I am glad that with each day that passes we are closer to having my happy healthy boy back.

Yesterday at the park--looking pretty dang good!
So that's where I've been.  And now I am just trying to get back on track and eat good clean food and move my body.  Scale said 174 this morning.  It is what it is, and I will get myself back to where I used to be soon enough.  Somehow the weight gain doesn't seem quite as devastating to me as it used to.  :)

11 comments:

  1. Oh my god! I am so sorry! I'm glad everyone is ok, even if it was something devastating. How incredibly scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness Becky, how terrible!! Many, many positive thoughts for all of you! Accidents happen, priorities change. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy to hear you guys are home and healing. Healing in SO many ways! Thanks for sharing what you have shared. As a mother, my heart aches for ALL you guys have been through. But I am also astounded to hear how you made it through it. I am sure there were dark days, and humbling days. Love hearing how you recognized miracles, and have used your beliefs/religion to help you through this. Thank you, and I hope there are many more good days ahead!( I am sure you have had plenty of the not-so-good days!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very sorry! Praying for strength, wisdom and grace for you and your fam as you walk in this hard place. HE is an abso- beauty-lutely cutie boy with a sweet, happy heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty nice blog, following :)

    ReplyDelete


  6. Getting back with your ex lover,urgently with love spell is really the best spell caster with 100% guarantee..my names is Kimberly Johnson ,AM from United states .i never believed in love spells or magic until i met this spell caster once when i went to Africa in June last year on a business summit i meet a man called prophet ogidi, is powerful he could help you cast a spells to bring back my love s gone misbehaving lover looking for some one to love you bring back lost money and magic money spell or spell for a good job i m now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 3weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 4 year i really loved him, but his mother was against me and he had no good paying job so when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him at first i was undecided,skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try and in 5 days when i returned to taxes my boyfriend (is now my husband ) he called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married i didn’t believe it cos the spell caster only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid and my husband also got a new job and our lives became much better in case anyone needs the spell caster for some help his email address:miraclecenter110@gmail.com or you can call him at +2348182260982

    ReplyDelete
  7. I of the distributor of PT NASA offer you to order nasa products on AMYPEDIA.COM :
    Crystal x
    Collaskin
    Moreskin
    Obat Kuat Blu Men
    Obat Kuat Herbastamin
    Itulah Nama Produk Kesehatan Dari PT Natural Nusantara.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fresh Raw chicken online
    Here at Giggsmeat.com, you can buy online chicken in Delhi from us as we provide fresh chicken home delivery in Delhi, the range of fresh chicken products in our online meat shop has something for almost every recipe. If you are stirring up tikka masala, kievs, casserole, as well as the barbecue, let us serve you to get the precise cut.

    ReplyDelete

  9. Graphic designing course in DelhiAspirants who want to become successful graphic designers after completing their schooling or college can opt for this course.

    ReplyDelete