Monday, November 1, 2010

Tasty tasty soup!

My husband cooked this weekend.  This is a rare event, but always celebrated.  We had a butternut squash that we needed to use, and he had found a recipe online at Allrecipes.com that he wanted to try.  He followed the directions exactly, except he added 1 tsp of Cayenne Pepper to give it a bit of a kick.

It was delicious!  And healthy!  I definitely recommend you try it, even if you aren't a fan of squash.  The flavor was exceptional!  The soup was made on Saturday and gone by Sunday evening.  We definitely enjoyed it during the wet and rainy weekend.  One serving is only 305 calories so it was guilt-free (which made up for the candy eating we participated in all weekend)!

How was your Halloween?  Ours was uneventful; we dressed up on Friday for work and then spent the weekend relaxing and handing out candy to the trick-or-treaters while we watched the TV series Firefly on Netflix.  It wasn't a bad way to spend the weekend!

I have to admit--I've been slacking on this journey.  I got complacent after the flu.  I haven't been running and I haven't been tracking my calories as much as I know I should.  I haven't gained weight yet, but I know that's only temporary.  This happened to me before at this exact same weight--I start feeling good about myself and stop pushing myself to continue forward.  However, this time the cycle breaks!  I have TWO exciting races lined up and I HAVE to train for them so it keeps me going!  Plus I'm really looking forward to them.  Now I just have to actually get out and do the work!  Today = 3.5 miles of running.  Yay!

Speaking of races...I got news last week that I will be out of the country during my favorite holiday (Thanksgiving).  I have an installation I need to be at in Australia on Nov. 26th.  I've always wanted to go to Australia, but I had always imagined my husband coming along with me and not sacrificing quality time with the family.  I'm excited, but bummed at the same time.  So I decided to try to cheer myself up by looking for a race to run while out there.  I have found a 10K in Melbourne that looks promising!  I just need to make sure my schedule lines up right.  I'm also going to be in New York a few weeks later with a coworker who will be running the Ragnar Relay race with me and we are checking out local runs there as well.  Should be fun!  It will help keep me on track and stay motivated.

What goals do you have set for yourself this month?  What are you doing to stay motivated?

4 comments:

  1. I love Butternut Squash soup.I never though it would something I'd like but I had it in a fancy restaurant and it blew me away. Good idea on the pepper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Butternut Squash soup too!!

    Australia? Wow! That's a bummer you will be away for Thanksgiving, but remember to enjoy each moment. And take lots of pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally jealous of your trip to Australia--but not the flight! :) I agree, just enjoy it--many more Thanksgiving's to come w/your family. The soup sounds yummy, I'm always looking for soup recipes this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Butternut squash soup is a must in my home also, I love it! It's a fall comfort recipe!

    Wow, a trip to Australia, it sounds exciting! I know Thanksgiving is kind of a big thing in USA, but you still have Christmas to come!

    ReplyDelete