Monday, January 31, 2011

Run of Death

That'll teach me to say that I love running.

Wow.

I had the WORST run I have ever had this weekend.  It was horrible for so many different reasons.  First, it was freezing outside.  My nose was running like crazy and I was convinced I was going to have snotcicles when I was done.  Second, it was 2500 feet higher in elevation than I'm used to.  Apparently those thousands of feet make QUITE a difference.  Third, there were hills.  Lots and lots of hills.  If you add these three items up, it equals asthma attacks!  Yay!!  Who knew?  And stupid me didn't have her inhaler with her...

The asthma started acting up around 2.5 miles in.  I had to stop and focus on my breathing for several minutes before I was able to even walk.  I then was able to walk for a little bit and then try jogging.  I ended up jogging slower than I could walk!  I was so frustrated!  But, I was determined to complete my 7 miles no matter what.  So onward I went...and then had another asthma flare up.  And another.  Finally, I was reduced to walking all uphills and attempting to jog the downhills.

This made for a very very long run.  Or walk.  Whatever you want to call it.

But...I finished.  I did the whole dang thing and finished.  It ended up sidelining me for the entire day and I ended up stuck on the couch because I felt so awful, but I was proud that I had at least gave it all I had.

By the way, the reason that I was at such a higher elevation is because I was attempting to escape the dreaded Salt Lake City inversion and get some clean air in Park City.

Because really, who wants to run in this...
This isn't fog or rain; this is an inversion...which is a fancy term for pollution.
 ...when you can run in this?
Hellooooo blue skies!
Even with the pain and suffering, I would make that decision again.  Asthma is better than lung cancer any day!

1 comment:

  1. Becky,
    I am sorry for your bad run! Hopefully your worst ever is now behind you. Have a lovely week!
    Jo

    ReplyDelete