Monday, July 25, 2011

Two great runs in one weekend = happy Becky

Yep.

Two great runs in one weekend.  I feel like I'm cheating the system somehow.  Typically, I have one great run for every 4 mediocre to awful runs.  But two good runs right in a row?  Huh...not sure what I think about that!  (That's a lie; I think it is AWESOME!)

Anyway, I ran 10 miles in Idaho on Saturday.  It's my first double-digit run since being sidelined with my IT band issue.  I was very nervous because I felt like this would be the real test for my knee.  I started out nice and easy with a gradual declined, and then looped back to conquer the hill at my dad's place around mile 5.  I felt good the whole way!

You can definitely tell where the turnaround point was on my hill climb!  Gotta love those downhill sections.  They make me excited for my Half Marathon this weekend!  In case I hadn't mentioned it, I recently signed up to run the Timpanogos Half Marathon.  I can't wait!  I'm hoping to smash my previous time.  I would love anything under 2:30, but I am secretly (I guess not so secretly anymore) hoping for somewhere in the 2:15-2:20 range.  It's a downhill course, so maybe it is possible?  We shall see!  Let's hope that Saturday doesn't decide to be the day where I have a bad run (that I am so due for).  Fingers crossed!

Here's the elevation profile from my 10-miler this weekend.  I'm trying to be a more balanced runner and incorporate all types of running environments into my training.  Since I seem to be running better than I have in the past, perhaps there is something to it?
IMAG0691
Views from the run--gorgeous!
IMAG0689
This is the view directly out my dad's window.  So pretty!
IMAG0687
I wasn't the only one enjoying the nice temps! 46 degrees at 7 am--perfect for running!
Anyway, my weekend was awesome.  Not only did I get a good run in, but I was able to spend a huge chunk of time outside with my family.  And because Idaho somehow managed to escape the massive heatwave engulfing the country, it was a perfect 80 degrees outside.  Perfect weather for BBQs and fireworks!  (Side note--it is a state holiday here in Utah/Idaho on the 24th of July.  We light off more fireworks than we do on the 4th!)  I went to the new water park in my hometown (and wore a swimsuit.  in public.  around people who actually know me...) and then took family photos.  And then lit off a crap ton of fireworks because they AWESOME.  It was pretty much a perfect day.  The only thing missing was Hubster who was in Seattle running the Ragnar Relay Northwest Passage race.  I missed him!  He ROCKED that race though--they were blazin' fast!

Now I am back in Utah and had to get back to my training schedule.  I have been 18 for 18 on my workouts for the last three weeks.  I haven't missed one yet!  So, this morning called for 5 miles and although I was definitely short on sleep I got up and did the darn thing.  I started out slow (legs felt heavy) but quickly warmed up and ended up running the whole thing with an average pace of under 10 minute miles.  Fastest time for me yet.   I am super excited about the progress I've made in just the last three weeks alone.  Apparently complete dedication to a training schedule will actually yield results.  Who knew?  :)

How was your weekend?  Is anyone training for anything at the moment?  How is it going for you?

8 comments:

  1. Wow, you did great! 18 for 18 on your workouts is awesome!
    Love the pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work! What a gorgeous place to run!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Becky!!! Thank you for your sweet comments, we must meet this Saturday for sure!

    Congrats on your awesome runs over the weekend. Love that! These pictures are truly amazing and I am so excited I finally found your blog. I am adding it to my blog scroll right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. yayyyyyyyyy!!!!!! ahhhh congrats on some awesome runs. I really think that time is within your reach this weekend. the first 7 miles are very downhill! What time are you planning on getting there? We should definitely coordinate!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats!! It's a great feeling to have good runs back to back.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures! I'm so glad you had 2 great runs.

    It was nice and warm here too this weekend - yesterday it was about 83-85 but today we are back to cloudy and on and off again rain. Boo!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a beautiful place to go for a run, no wonder you were inspired to keep going for 10 miles :)
    Good luck in the half marathon, it sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had a great weekend too! Got to run on the beach! I also love spending time outside. Glad you got to do it with your fam!

    xo
    Sarah
    Get Up & Go

    ReplyDelete