Tuesday, December 7, 2010

December is Trying to Kill Me


Well, at least my travel schedule in December is...

"Occasionally" I travel for work.  I put the quotation marks around "occasionally" because for whatever reason, I will be traveling nearly every weekend this month for work.  For me, that ends up feeling a lot more like "frequently" or "all the dang time" rather than "occasionally."

It's leading to extreme failure in regards to my relay training.  I have GOT to come up with a game plan to make it through these next few weeks.  There are only FOUR WEEKS until I'll be in Florida running my heart out!  Guess how long it has been since I've ran?  Ummm...four weeks this Friday.  That is NOT okay!  The illness played a huge factor in it, but I'm better now and still haven't gone.  As Scooby would say: "Ruh roh!"

So, the game plan is as follows:

  • Cram all my running gear into my suitcase.  Run on treadmills at the hotels no matter how boring it may be.  30 minutes of boredom is manageable!
  • Stalk myfitnesspal.com.  Stalk it like a hot ex boyfriend.
  • Revise my training schedule to accommodate the travel dates.
  • Commit!
I need to add some new races to my schedule for after December as well.  Knowing that I have a race coming up is the only thing that is making me continue to work out.  Scary thought, but very true.  I want to be active, I want to be healthy, I want to feel and look sexy, but when it comes to actually following through on those desires the only thing that works is the fear of having a very painful race due to lack of training.  Not the best motivation, but it works so it'll have to do!  

There is a half marathon in St. George in January that is really interesting me.  I'll be (hopefully) trained up to half marathon level by the time I run Ragnar so I should be able to complete one.  I hesitate to sign up right now, however, because I will be in China for the week before the race so I don't know if I can get in all the right runs.  I'll have to see how I feel after today's run and see how much I lost by taking the unplanned running hiatus.

Also, as a side note that I can't help but mention--I went to a funeral for a dear family member who passed away last week due to health complications.  Most of her health complications could be directly tied to her weight.  It was a painful reminder of the importance of getting our health under control before our lives are cut tragically short.  So--let's stay the course and finish what we started.  We owe it to ourselves to be as healthy as we can.  It isn't just about fitting into skinny jeans (even though that is wonderful perk).  It's about living a long, healthy, active and fulfilled life.

4 comments:

  1. You are a busy lady! But you can do it, look at what you have accomplished already! Hopefully Florida warms back up before you get here. It's been below 30 at night and 50- low 60's during the day. But I suppose that is perfect running weather for those who are used to much worse!

    Safe travels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry for your loss...

    Work is keeping you really busy! I think that traveling for work can be fun, but too much traveling is not!

    You are right, we really owe it to ourselves to be as healthy as we can. I could not say better than that!

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you...December is trying to kill me too! It's too busy and stressful... :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband travels a lot for work and usually has to have a solid plan before he goes in order to eat healthy and get activity - like getting food at the grocery store right when he arrives, and staying in a place with a gym. You can do it!!!!

    ReplyDelete