Monday, August 2, 2010

Backpacking in the Uintas

I was able to get out this past weekend and really push myself on some hiking trails.  I've never been backpacking before, so I was really nervous about carrying around 25 lbs of extra weight.  Let's be honest, I'm not a fan of the 25 lbs of extra weight I am already carrying around!  So needless to say, I was a bit antsy as we drove up to the trailhead.  However, once we got started I realized that I was totally capable of it and even more than that, I loved it!  I can't wait to go again.  We were originally planning on doing an easy 2 mile (one-way) hike to a place called Twin Lakes where we would set up camp for the evening.  However, when we got there we found a large crowd had already claimed it and we wanted more solitude.  The only other option was to continue up the trail another 2.5 miles to a more secluded area.  It involved climbing a bunch of switchbacks which is always a great work out.  I was definitely sweating by the time we reached the peak.  However, it was totally worth the effort.  I could definitely see myself going on backpacking trips every weekend if my schedule would allow it.  It was a nice reminder to go outside my comfort zone and try new things.  Here are some pictures:
At Wall Lake
So many lakes that some aren't even named!
At the top of Notch Pass
This is at Ibantik Lake.  This photo does a good job of showing the spare tire.  :)
Totally worth the effort to see these meadows!
Beautiful!
When we finally got home on Saturday, I was extremely sore.  My body hurt in places it hasn't hurt in for a long time.  Also, I received a nice blister on the bottom of my foot that definitely prevented me from running today.  However, the good news is that when I stepped on the scale this morning I was greeted with a 164.2. Much better than 168.  I'm sure it is related to the time of day I weighed myself last week, but I'll take it!  Here's hoping by Friday I can get it down to 162.  It's the little things in life that bring the joy!

No comments:

Post a Comment