Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Adam's Canyon Hike


I love hiking.  This is something you should know about me.  I think it is one of the best ways to get in a workout without really feeling the regular "suffering" from a workout. Why is that?  Because I get distracted by the beauty of my surroundings and I am too busy having fun to take note of the calories I am burning away.  What a perfect set up!

Unfortunately, I am not able to get out in the mountains nearly as often as I would like.  This is especially frustrating because I live only 10 minutes away from some phenomenal hikes!  To try to remedy this, my friend and I are trying to meet up every week to go on a hike together.  This week's hike was Adam's Canyon.  It's a steep hike up to a beautiful waterfall.

The beautiful creek along the way


It's me!

My faithful hiking companion, Jess.

Jess at the creek

We made it!

It is always nice to have an end goal during a workout to keep you going.  The last part of this hike involves some scrambling, and the steepness of it makes the legs burn (especially since I ran yesterday).  Knowing that a beautiful waterfall was waiting for us, it was much easier to push through the pain to get to the goal.  

Speaking of goals...guess what I am doing this weekend (weather permitting)?  I am taking down another one of my goals.  That is right, I am finally hiking Lake Blanche.  



Just a bit of history on this hike...

Three years ago, my friend and I decided to hike this trail.  We were newbie hikers and wanted an easy to moderate trail to start the season off.  We looked up local hikes in our area, and found this one.  The website said it was easy and any beginner could do it.  The lake is beautiful, so we decided it would be the perfect hike.

THEY LIED.

It is basically a stair stepper the entire way.  The first part of the hike is in the sun, so you are melting as you climb up this trail.  I've never felt my thighs burn that way.  Eventually, the sun got too low in the sky and we had to turn around before making it to our goal.  Talk about disappointment!  It has haunted me since that day, and I have always wanted to go back and finish what I started.

That's what I'll be doing this weekend.  Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment