Sunday, August 15, 2010

Importance of Taking Measurements

This weekend I was reminded of how important it is to take measurements of your body in addition to tracking your weight loss.  Why?  Well, I worked out hard this week and watched what I ate pretty well. I was feeling pretty good about my upcoming weigh-in.  However, when I stepped on the scale for a sneak peek this weekend I was greeted with a not so friendly weight GAIN rather than weight loss.  As someone who has been making a big effort this week to "do the right thing" I was very disappointed, and frankly, a bit pissed off.  I think it would've been very easy to get so discouraged that a person would just give up right then and there and say "To hell with it!  Where's my Big Mac??"  



However, before I decided to go eat my emotions I reminded myself that muscle weighs more than fat and that I should check my measurements.  Here they are:


Neck:  13.25" (Last week should've been 13.5.  I misremembered!)
Left Bicep:  11.5"
Right Bicep:  11.5"
Bust:  37"
Waist (smallest part):  30.75"
Waist (biggest part):  36.25"
Hips:  45"
Left Thigh:  27"
Right Thigh:  27"
Left Calf:  16"
Right Calf:  16"
Weight:  165 lbs.


Anyway, while some of those numbers didn't move, others saw a pretty decent drop.  I was happiest with my waist and the hips.  It was a good reminder that while I may not be able to see a difference on the scale, things are changing on my body.  My hardwork is paying off, even if it doesn't show on the scale.  Perhaps I will be like those Biggest Loser contestants who have a one pound weight gain one week and then the next week lose 15 lbs.  One could hope, right?  Nah, I know that's not possible but I do hope I can continue to stay motivated for this week.  One week at a time!  

No comments:

Post a Comment