Monday, December 19, 2011

The End of the Juice Fast

The time has come, ladies and gentleman.  The juice fast is officially over!  So, how'd it go?

I'm going to be honest.  Yesterday was rough.  I was SO over the veggie drinks.  I really liked the fruit drinks, but the veggie ones got to be a bit much for me.  I think next time I will buy more vegetables I like beforehand so I don't run out.  Also, I think I just need to try more recipes so that I can find some I really like.

Here are the remaining drinks in pictures:

(I missed taking a photo of breakfast on Sunday, but it was identical to Saturday)

Juice Fast 302
Lunch on Sunday looked like vomit.  So there's that.
Juice Fast 304
Dinner on Sunday--so colorful!
Juice Fast 305
Still looks a bit sketchy mixed up!
Juice Fast 306
Breakfast!  yum!
Juice Fast 307
I *might* have gone overboard with the Kale!
Things got tough last night.  We had dinner over at Hubster's parents' house and while they were enjoying their pasta and breads, I was stuck sipping away at my semi-tasty juice beverage.  I'm not going to lie--that was REALLY hard for me.  And for dessert they had fudge and caramels!  Rough!  It took a LOT of willpower not to cave and just have some food.  But I stuck it out and finished the juice fast just as I had told myself I would.

So what about the results?  Was it worth my time?

You betcha.  Not only did I get a crap ton of nutrients into my system this weekend, I actually lost a good amount of weight!  I really wish I would've taken measurements before starting this, but I just didn't think it would be very dramatic.  However, it must have been because my clothes fit very differently this morning than they did on Friday.  Here's a quick look at the numbers:

Last Monday's Weight: 158 lbs
Tuesday: 157
Wednesday: 157
Thursday: didn't weigh in
Friday: 155.2
Saturday: 154.6
Sunday: 152.8
Today: 151.0

7 lbs lost in a week?  I'll take it!  I should have mentioned that I started drinking natural fruit smoothies for breakfast/dinner on Wednesday and Thursday to sort of "prep" my body for the incoming onslaught of nutrient goodness.  That really helped with the weight loss as well.  I also think it helped with keeping my digestive system in check. 

Now for those of you thinking that the weight I lost this weekend was due to my body, ahem, "flushing out" any toxins; it's important to note that I never ever once had any change in my bodily function.  There was no need for Immodium, if you catch my drift.  All's normal on the bathroom front.  This surprised me because I had been expecting it, but it never came.  

That being said, I do think that the simple fact that I don't have solid food in my body will affect the scale.  I imagine that once I eat solids again my weight will rise a bit, but I am extremely encouraged that I finally have  a negative trend on the scale.  I was absolutely HORRIFIED by the scale creeping up and being so stubborn.  

Will I do it again?

Yep.  For sure.  It was definitely tough (PS--I revised my review on that Kickin Salsa Verde drink--it's dropping to a 2.5.  That was mega-hard to drink!!), but I feel that I accomplished what I was hoping to get out of it.  I lost weight.  I cleared my head of obsessive thoughts over food (well, they were still there, I just have control over the cravings now).  And I got some good healthy food in me.

What would I change?

I would have more apples on hand to add to the vegetable drinks.  I think a strong fruit can help overcome the strong veggie flavor that I was struggling with.  

I would also make sure that I'm not going to any holiday/family functions next time I attempt this.  I missed out on some stuff because I knew temptation would be too strong, and then when I did go I really had a hard time enjoying myself because I was kinda miserable I couldn't partake of the food as well.  Darn those food addictions!

Ideally, I would also like my spouse involved next time.  It was hard to go it alone!  There is always strength and comfort in numbers, and it would be nice to have someone to suffer along with me next time!

So, will any of you be trying it?  If so, drop me a line so I can watch how it goes for you!  Feel free to ask any questions about my juice fast as well.  I'll be happy to answer!

8 comments:

  1. I don't think I could ever do that. I think I would chew my arm off! I'll stick to just making smart food choices overall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was a Vegan for many years.
    I drank so much juice ...it was all I lived on.
    I like protein now!
    I'm glad you did well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Could you mix the veggies and fruit into one smoothie?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's looking like I might have a juicer under the tree for Christmas! If so, I'll definitely give it a try!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to juice for 2 weeks in January to get rid of my crazy sugar and caffeine addiction. Thanks for sharing your tips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I'm not sure I even have words to say. I am so incredibly proud of you. This totally proves your strength and determination and words cannot even begin to describe how proud of you I am.

    I am 100% on board with you next time. It better be after the holidays though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! You did amazing!! I've done raw twice (once a success...the other a failure) but juice only would be supa tough so kudos kudos kudos to you for sticking with it! And with no 'rhea. haha. awesome!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good job! I do want to know if you had headaches, nausea, extra congestion or mucus. That's what I noticed when I juiced and I've heard that from others too. As soon as I can, I'm going to do some juicing again!

    ReplyDelete