Saturday, December 17, 2011

Juice Fast Thoughts - Day 1

I began the juice fast last night after work.  I made the recipe I listed yesterday before we left to go see Sherlock Holmes (really liked the movie, btw).  Hubster's family was over while I was making the drink and it's official--they now think I am crazy.  As a quick refresher, here is what was in the first drink:

Spinach - 9 oz.
Carrots - 12 oz.
Bell Peppers (1 red, 1 yellow, 1 orange)
Parsley
Celery (1/2 stalk)
Tomato (3 large)

I think I should first mention how the only ingredients I like in that entire list are the carrots and celery.  I think tomatoes taste like battery acid.  Not a fan.  So admittedly, I was really nervous about like this drink.  It would be really easy to do a juice fast using just fruits, but that's not the point.  You've gotta get the nutrients from the vegetables too!  Plus, sometimes magical things happen when you combine a bunch of ingredients you don't like with a few you do.

So...was there magic with this drink?

Juice Fast 006
Sweet Robust Italiano
Meh.  I would rate it about 3 out of 5 stars.  It wasn't bad; it was actually much better than I thought it would be.  I just didn't really like the parsley in it.  However, it didn't make me gag and I drank the whole thing without much concern.  Hubster even drank a full glass.  His brother and his dad tried some as well.  I think they might have rated it a 1 out of a 5!  I quote: "It's like drinking Earth..."

I was expecting to be hungrier than I was after drinking it last night.  I thought I would come home from the movie famished, but I had no issues.  

Today I woke up looking forward to my breakfast drink.  I've heard that it is good to consume fruits in the morning because your body can handle the sugars better at that time of day.  I'm not sure if it's true, but it is something I've always followed.  

Juice Fast 008
All the ingredients--love the colors!
Today's recipe I had to make up.  A lot of the recipes call for fruits that just aren't in season right now, so I used what I had:

3 stalks of Kale (gotta get those veggies!)
3 oranges
1/4 pineapple
1 pear

Holy cow.  This one was DELICIOUS.  5 out of 5, easily.  I would pay money for this bad boy.  I should've added more Kale than I did; I couldn't even taste it in my drink.  I let Hubster sample some and I was worried he was going to steal my drink from me!
Juice Fast 009
Pretty and Oh SO Tasty!
I am tempted to make this drink for every meal!  I won't, however, because that would defeat the purpose of the juice fast.  Variety is key.  I definitely love it though.  Can you tell I'm trying to convince myself to only make it for breakfast and not every meal?  It will become a new breakfast staple long after this juice fast is over.  I just wish I was on a tropical island somewhere drinking it!

By the way--an update on my weight.  As you know, it spiked so high this week.  It went up to 158 which is a number I haven't seen in over a year.  Not happy to have that show up on my scale.  However, I weighed in today at 154.6.  Eating = under control.  Exercising was top notch this week.  Also, (and perhaps most importantly) my body feels awesome.  I have new muscles showing up that I couldn't see just two short weeks ago.  My stomach was super flat this morning.  I think I've been trading fat for muscle, and I couldn't be happier about it.  I'm not going to stress too much about the number on the scale as long as the mirror (and the way my clothes fit) reflect positive changes.  I feel great and this juice fast is only going to help me feel better!

1 comment:

  1. When I juice again I can't wait to try this recipe! sounds so yummy!!

    ReplyDelete