Tuesday, October 26, 2010

The Disconnect

Before I ever started this blog I was working out with a coworker/friend after work each day (this was at the beginning of this year).  To keep ourselves motivated, we came up with a list of goals and rewards.  While searching through some documents the other day, I came across the spreadsheet we put together and couldn't help but open it up to see if I had accomplished any of the goals I had set for myself.  

I can't believe how far I've come!
  • Goal #1: Run 1 mile at 10 minute pace
    • I can run at least 2 miles at a 10 minute pace now!
  • Goal #2: Run 30 minutes straight on a treadmill
    • I can do that, but I can also run for 75 minutes straight outside
  • Goal #3: Run a 5K
    • I ran a 10K!!
  • Goal #4: Hike Lake Blanche
    • I hiked Lake Blanche (and can't wait to do it again) and then climbed Mt. Timpanogos!
There were other goals on there (lose 10 lbs, 20 lbs, etc.) but all of the actual "challenge" goals were met and exceeded.  This was such an NSV for me.  I forget how far I've come sometimes.  For example...

...Last night I was struggling (and I mean STRUGGLING) on the treadmill trying to finish up a 3.5 mile run.  I had a side ache that I couldn't get rid of and the pain was intense.  For whatever reason, it made me MAD.  I was so frustrated at myself that I couldn't finish the run.  
I walked/ran a total of 2.5 miles before calling it in.  Disappointed, I stepped off the treadmill to go enter the run into dailymile.com and myfitnesspal (and to pout).  However, when I entered the mileage and time into dailymile, I saw something interesting--I had a pace for the entire workout of 11:11.  I've been steadily trying to beat my standard pace of 12:00, and even with the walking I did I had gotten my timing well below that.  Instead of being frustrated at myself, I should've been proud of myself for running that first mile and a half so fast.  (I also probably should've slowed down on that first mile because I clearly overworked myself resulting in having to quit early...oops).  More importantly, I ran the first mile and a half without walking or stopping, which is something I couldn't do 3-4 months ago.  

So why was I so mad at myself?  I had no right to be, and I feel like I owe my body an apology for being frustrated with it.  It put up with years of overeating and neglect, and here I was expecting it to perform like a Ferrari after only a couple months of tune-ups.  That's unreasonable to expect of it, and bad for me both physically and mentally.  

Do you ever get frustrated during a workout and forget how far you've come?  How do you balance the disconnect between where you think you should be and where you actually are?

1 comment:

  1. I get so frustrated when my asthma starts to flare up. Thankfully it doesn't happen often, but it really is something I have no control over and can't ignore. I literally walked out of the gym a few weeks ago after 14 minutes because it was getting so bad. I think what keeps me balanced is remembering that I also impress myself a lot, its not all disappointment.

    ReplyDelete